The paper sets out 5 PANEL principles (below) which can be put into practice in the design, delivery and assessment of health and social care:
• Participation: How are people actively taking part in decision-making on this issue?
• Accountability: How are organisations and people meaningfully accountable for realising human rights in this context?
• Non-discrimination: Does this approach recognise that everyone has the same rights (regardless of their characteristics or status)?
• Empowerment: How are people acquiring the power to know, understand, and claim their rights in this context?
• Legality – Have we made sure that the approach is embedded in law that applies human rights standards?